Thursday, March 18, 2010

Boys and Girls Club via Athletes for Hope

Russ and I attended the USATF Annual Meeting in Indianapolis at the beginning of December, and there was a presentation from Athletes for Hope; a volunteer organization dedicated to getting athletes involved in their communities. I admit, I didn't act on the opportunity quite immediately, but I have been in conversation with Chris Wyttenbach for a few months now. I had my first volunteer experience through AFH yesterday; went to the Boys and Girls Club of Chula Vista to meet the staff and get a tour!

It was a little overwhelming. Throughout my life, I have wanted to be good with kids! Once they get to know me, I think they like me okay, but at first they just stare. You can see in their eyes that they're thinking,
"who is this girl and what is wrong with her?"
Anyway, I have a little bit of a complex about that, and volunteering at the Boys and Girls Club will be a challenge for me personally, but that is sort of why I'd like to become comfortable helping out there. :)

The plan is to just go back when I have time and get more accustomed to hanging around the kids and learning what the staff do. Basically they play all afternoon, and eventually it'd be fun to lead an arts and crafts project or lead some cooperation/teamwork activities...I loved those when I was little.

My back continues to feel better! The x-rays were normal the other day, and the next step is getting a bone scan. I've been going to the training room on top of practice every day, and I still love the rehab I'm doing!
The clock is ticking
on the start of season...

No comments:

Post a Comment