Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Me? Explosive?

Last week was rest week. You read that right; last week was rest week. It wasn't rest Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday,
it was do-what-you-want-when-you-want week.
Mike and I went to hot yoga at the Chula Vista Yoga Center twice, did three recovery workouts (general strength and abs), and I went on a long, leisurely bike ride with Russ! I absolutely loved the time off, and took advantage by getting tons of therapy! Three chiropractic appointments, 2.5 hours of massage, one shoulder mobility torture session, and one acupuncture appointment later, I felt pretty awesome heading into the first week of this new block.

I didn't squat at all last year. Literally, not one time. Our leg lifts were single leg, and mostly step-ups. That means that I hadn't squatted since approximately June of 2009 until I did yesterday. Front squats are on my program this block, and my legs hurt. I look forward to getting those neglected muscles in shape again so I can get some actual work done!

I've written recently that my gymnastics skills are coming along nicely. Our new gymnastics regimen is a lot more about strength than spatial awareness and coordination, like the last block. We did a bunch of posterior-chain strengthening with the Keiser machines today, followed by high bar srength with muscle-ups. The most I had done in a row before today was 3. On my first set, I did 4. Then, Ty said the most he'd ever seen a girl do was 5 in a row. I started out on my second set by doing 6. Then Ty said, "If you do 8 you don't have to do any more." So, I did two more. Then, we figured that there was no reason not to do 10, so I did two more.
Not only did I figure out a skill, but now I'm strong enough to perform it repeatedly...and fairly well!
The most exciting part of the gymnastics workout this afternoon was that, right after I exploded out of the bottom of the movement to pull myself on top of the bar on one of my repetitions, Ty remarked on the power that I had exhibited. I've never, ever thought of myself as an explosive athlete, and to hear him say that and feel powerful and explosive in the skill is really gratifying. I really look forward to applying the stretch-followed-by-explosive-arm-strike feeling that I've gotten in muscle-ups to the javelin.

5 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!!!! SO PROUD OF/HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i LOVE the new background!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog is looking good!!! It's awesome to see you doing well. I try to use you as inspiration for my athletes to do their rehabs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your background makes me dizzy...but it's awesome! I'll trade you recovery weeks. Your week sounded pretty nice. Keep up the good hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really great to hear (read) that you are doing so well :) I'll be looking out for some kick ass results this Summer :) Keep up the good work!!

    Micce

    ReplyDelete